Careers at CDD
Join us in our mission to make drug discovery truly collaborative
CDD Vault is the leading hosted collaborative drug discovery informatics platform. Every day, scientists around the world manage, analyze and securely collaborate around their data using CDD Vault. This type of collaboration is crucial to research on under-funded diseases like Tuberculosis and Malaria and also provides a strategic, competitive advantage in commercial markets.
Our long list of customers includes academic labs, biotechs, big pharmas, government laboratories, as well as leading funders of collaborations like the NIH, the EU FP7, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Work & Benefits
We think the world has seen too many ugly scientific applications. We care about usability and details. Our team ships code quickly and iteratively. We think design and community management are as important as great technology. We believe in making complex technology simple for scientists.
We believe a few great people can make a big difference. We strive to embody our name and empower every CDD employee to do their best work. This means working collaboratively, and giving every person ownership and responsibilities.
We also offer the following attractive benefits:
- Competitive salaries and meaningful equity
- Comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, 401k)
- Family-friendly flexible schedules plus four weeks vacation or paid-time-off
- The equipment you need to be productive (Top of the line laptop, extra display, height-adjustable desk…)
- An innovative, collaborative, accepting culture
- Software Engineer or Senior Software Engineer
- Software Engineering Intern
- Operation Manager / System Administrator / DevOps
- Software Engineer for Informatics and Machine Learning
- Marketing Manager
- Designer: application, front-end, marketing
- Experienced and Remarkable Grant Writer
- Pre-/Post-Sales Application Scientist (Europe/US)
- Business Development/Sales Professional
- CDD Advocate (Consultant)
Basic Function: The bookkeeper position creates financial transactions and creates subsequent financial reports. Financial transactions include posting information to accounting journals or accounting software from invoices to customers, cash receipts, and supplier invoices. The bookkeeper also will help reconcile accounts to ensure their accuracy.
Desired Qualifications: The bookkeeper candidate should have an Associate's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience, as well as a knowledge of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
Desired Background (experience or ability to quickly learn):
- Knowledge of Accounting Seed, QuickBooks, Microsoft Office
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or business and 1- to 3-years experience
- Understanding of double entry bookkeeping
- Familiarity with adjusting journal entries
- Excellent organizational and planning skills and excellent attention to detail
- You should be able to research independently and analyze and solve problems
- You should have strong communication skills
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Ideally 1-year experience of Accounting Seed or QuickBooks (bookkeeping)
Representative Areas of Responsibility:
- Assist with the management of accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Prepare checks, payments, and bank deposits
- Assist with the reconciliation and balancing of all accounts
- Maintain historical records by filing necessary documents
- Assist senior accountant/outside accounting firm in the preparation of monthly/yearly closings
- Assist with gathering end of year tax documentation for tax accounts, producing year end financials
- Monitor online banking transactions
- Assist with administrative duties associated with fulfilling accounting process
- Purchase supplies and equipment as authorized by management
- Pay supplier invoices in a timely manner
- Issue invoices to customers
- Assist accounting in tracking payroll, tax and benefits
- Record cash receipts and deposits
- Conduct a monthly reconciliation of every bank account
- Conduct periodic reconciliations of all accounts to ensure their accuracy
- Issue financial statements
- Provide information to internal and external accountant who creates the company’s financial statements
- Assemble information for the annual external audit
- Calculate and issue financial analysis of the financial statements
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Support Accounting to maintain the Chart of Accounts
- Support Accounting to maintain overall grant and project specific budgets
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Comply with foundation, federal government and other funders reporting requirements
- Assist accounting to process payroll in a timely manner (and provide a backup when needed)
- Provide administrative support to management as requested
Why this is a great opportunity: CDD has built leading collaborative drug discovery software for humanitarian (Neglected Diseases for the poor) and Commercial drug discovery. CDD has been growing (GAAP), as has the accounting and bookkeeping requirements. CDD is a special, family environment with an inspiring mission. CDD is not solely interested in financial skills and attention to details (a given for this position), but also the people skills to care for others as much as oneself. We are looking for someone with the personality and self-awareness to help make the jobs more enjoyable for others (the collaborative aspect of our culture). Come join a winning team environment in our Burlingame Office (off Hwy 101 between Millbrae Ave and Broadway just across from the beautiful SF Bay). This is an opportunity to do work that makes the world a better place.
Compensation is flexible: CDD provides competitive salary and attractive benefits. The ideal candidate will be one relatively early in their bookkeeping-accounting career, yet with potential to grow and co-evolve together with CDD. Incentives will be provided as a function of individual growth (given CDD has been consistently growing and maintaining employees even in the competitive Silicon Valley Environment). The majority of customers and employees stay with CDD long-term. For over 14 years, CDD has enjoyed consistent, sustainable growth, without ever laying off an employee for financial reasons. Feel free to share compensation expectations to discuss.
Software Engineer or Senior Software Engineer
You will have a huge impact on how we design, build and deliver our application. You should be a generalist and enjoy working across the software stack. Our current technologies include Ruby (Rails), MySQL, React, D3.js, Java, and Elasticsearch.
We look for engineers who love finding efficient, thoughtful, and highly useable solutions to a variety of technical and product challenges. You should strive to write maintainable code with strong tests.
Sample projects include:
- Building our visualization suite with modern HTML5 tools
- Designing a data model and UX that allows scientists to invite collaborators and selectively share data with them
- Extending our API for third party developers and integrations
- Improving our DevOps tools and completing our transition to infrastructure-as-code
- Optimizing import, export and computation of large data sets
To apply, please contact [email protected] with your resume, cover letter, and links to things you've built.
Conditions: We consider applicants seeking full-time employment as a permanent employee. You must be local to the bay area or interested in relocation.
Software Engineering Intern
By interning with us, you will:
- work on a real project that matters; write software that will be deployed live and be used by all our customers
- get firsthand experience working on a live, multi-tenant, hosted application with very frequent updates
- use a variety technologies and languages (Ruby, Rails, RSpec, D3.js and React, to name a few)
- experience what it is to work in a well organized software development team
- help improve a cutting-edge scientific collaboration platform used by industry, foundations and academia
- write code to perform statistical calculations to process and summarize data
- develop rich interfaces for scientific data presentation and comparison
The ideal intern has some combination of the following:
- currently pursuing a BS, MS or PhD in computer science (cheminformatics or bioinformatics a plus)
- has a strong software foundation including OOP and algorithms
- has a passion for (or a strong interest in) TDD and agile development
- knows Rails or another comparable web application development framework
To apply, please contact [email protected] with your resume, cover letter, and links to things you have built.
Conditions: We welcome and sponsor students/trainees under J1 visas.
Operations Manager / System Administrator / DevOps
As the first full-time member of the operations team, you will be in charge of the infrastructure used to deliver the CDD Vault application. We have cabinets in two data centers, and have begun deploying an on-premises version of our application to customers with specific security requirements.
We believe in infrastructure-as-code. We are looking for someone who is already skilled at automating infrastructure management, or someone who has a SysAdmin background and a strong desire to strengthen their coding skills. You will be given significant leeway to do your job the way you think is best.
The ideal candidate has experience with a lot of the following:
- Hardware monitoring and troubleshooting
- Linux/Unix systems administration
- Firewall and VPN configuration
- Configuration management (Puppet)
- Database replication, backups, and monitoring (MySQL)
- Network and OS security hardening, monitoring, and auditing
... and a desire to learn about the rest.
- Be local to our Burlingame office or willing to relocate
- Be able to participate in weekly on-call rotation with two other employees
- Be independent, meticulous, and result-driven
To apply, please contact [email protected] with your resume and cover letter explaining why you would like to work with us.
Software Engineer for Informatics and Machine Learning
Primary tasks include:
- Improving the natural language processing and machine learning technology for predicting assay annotations from existing information
- Maintaining the underlying ontology-based annotation system for integration with the greater semantic web
- Designing a quality control infrastructure to validate new versions of the platform and releasing to multiple sites in real time
- Refining the user interface in response to feedback from scientists
Familiarity with the underlying technologies is desirable but not essential: you must be able to learn quickly, and have a passion for making a difference to modern drug discovery.
To apply, please contact [email protected] with your resume and cover letter explaining why you would like to work with us.
In this role, you will be responsible for executing various marketing activities initially focusing on content management and SEO markup for our blog, emails and webinars. Current tools in use at CDD include HubSpot, WordPress, MailChimp, Salesforce, Hootsuite, Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Linkedin, GoToWebinar, etc.
Drug discovery informatics and/or marketing experience will be helpful for generating effective content. Over time, you will be responsible for managing our conferences, regional events, sales-marketing collateral, social media, and scaling our overall marketing working closely with Sales and Product teams. Candidate will collaborate with the CDD team to run elegant experiments with well defined success metrics that optimize marketing effectiveness.
Interested candidates should send a writing sample, cv, and/or cover letter on why you are a good fit to [email protected].
Designer: application, front-end, marketing
Seeking a designer or design team who can continue developing our aesthetic and assist us with a variety of tasks.
Our awesome design team over the past 2 years had to close shop so we're seeking a replacement who can pick up where they left off. We have a steady stream of design requirements from polishing existing UI to developing brand new modules within our product as well as more general improvements to our marketing website. We know our market well and handle most of the UX in-house so we need a team that can communicate effectively.
CDD Vault, our product, is a hosted collaborative drug discovery informatics platform. Every day, scientists around the world manage, analyze and securely collaborate around their data using CDD Vault. This type of cheminformatics tool is crucial for underfunded diseases like Tuberculosis and Malaria, and provides a strategic, competitive advantage in commercial markets.
Please contact [email protected].
Experienced and Remarkable Grant Writer (Employee or Consultant)
CDD is searching for a grant writer with a track record of having won a SBIR, STTR, or RO1 grant.
As the ideal candidate, you should be strong enough technically to generate innovative ideas yourself, as well as to co-generate innovative ideas with peers, yet open-minded enough to enthusiastically embrace ideas generated entirely from others.
Ideally, you will have domain expertise in chemoinformatics, collaborative software, medicinal chemistry, and/or biology. If your expertise is in medicinal chemistry and/or biology, then ideally it is in an area relevant to CDD’s current business such as small molecule high throughput drug discovery screening, neglected infectious diseases, molecular biology, or related areas.
Multiple grant projects are available given the large number of leading researchers CDD already collaborates with, so you should be able to quickly and deeply understand, optimize, and articulate in writing the most innovative technologies, scientific domains and promising approaches.
You will be accountable for professionally writing, formally submitting, and winning collaborative grants. Finally, you should expect to thrive in a unique nurturing ecosystem selecting from a growing community of novel and curious ideas, scientists, and technologists.
To apply, please contact us at [email protected] with a resume and cover letter.
Pre-/Post-Sales Application Scientist (Europe/US)
CDD is a growing scientific software company with a sustainably expanding researcher community using the CDD Vault to archive, mine and collaborate around drug discovery data. We are looking for leading, experienced Customer (Community) Support professionals. This important position will support both pre- and post-sales support efforts to biologists and chemists in both industry and academia. Priority will be given to candidates with domain-relevant experience (Chemistry or Biology at another database vendor like MDL/Symyx, Accelrys, CambridgeSoft, IDBS, etc) demonstrating skills supporting real customer needs. Our software helps chemists and biologists manage and collaborate around their drug discovery data. We believe the innovative approach enabled by our technology dramatically reduces the risk and improves the efficiency of the drug discovery process, an important goal that affects both humanitarian and commercial markets. Our software is currently used by leading academic researchers (at Stanford, Harvard, University of Dundee, etc.) working on finding drugs for developing-world infectious diseases, as well as leading industry players (Lilly, Genentech, Amgen, etc). You will help our customers in their quest to alleviate significant human suffering.
Primary Responsibilities (Chemistry and/or Biology background presumed):
- Proficient in Office, experienced in Excel
- Routinely use excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Manage multiple tasks and responsibilities in a changing environment
- Great attention to detail
- Take initiative and responsibility for customer satisfaction (or better yet delight)
Assist in supporting both pre- and post-sales. Help new customer prospects organize their data and upload it into the database. Teach people how to use the software and devise new upload methods to cut-down on pre-processing time. Schedule meetings and keep up communications with existing customers. Gather monthly reports for existing customers to ensure the product is meeting their needs.
- Additional Plusses for supporting sales in addition to customers.
- Develop client accounts to ensure company sales and revenue goals are met.
- Experience with personalized group emailing programs such as mail merge required.
- Help refine sales messaging to optimize sales process (maximize % closing and minimize sales cycle period).
- Develop productive relationships and maintain contact with key account personnel.
- Identify potential client's key players and influencers. Work to develop ongoing productive relationships with them.
- Research customer's business situation and discover needs and objectives.
- Market and prospect for new customers.
- Maintain company prospect active email lists.
- Collaborate with management to develop initiatives that could directly or indirectly affect or impact sales.
- Gain a full understanding of all company product, services and capabilities.
- Ensure that marketing and sales productivity is captured via timely reporting.
- BS, MS, or PhD degree all acceptable (ideally in chemistry or biology)
- Competent, Capable, Compatible
- Experience with technical (software) support ideally for drug discovery informatics
- DB experience a plus (with Molecular Registration or SAR Databases a real plus)
- Experience supporting accounts for customers using molecular registration or SAR database software at a vendor like MDL-Symyx, Accelrys, Cambridgesoft, IDBS, etc given top consideration
- Strong work ethic and people skills (sensitivity to others)
- Experience engaging scientists
- Be available to work at company in Burlingame (5 min south of SFO off HWY 101)
- Background in consumer products and a passion for the CDD product
- Positive, high-energy, interactive personality (comfort with people)
- Strong detail-orientation and great follow up skills
- Excellent computer skills (mass mailings, sales CRM, Microsoft Office, web, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills
- Leadership, initiative, responsibility, and creativity are needed
- A flexible team player
CDD offers a fast-paced, exciting environment. We offer competitive salaries as well as health insurance, and equity participation – as well as the excitement of working in a fast-paced environment with enthusiastic colleagues. What you do will really matter. Interested candidates should send resume, salary history and cover letter to [email protected]
Business Development/Sales Professional
CDD is a refreshingly enjoyable place to work on the customer-facing sides. CDD's support is legendary, as you can read first-hand in all the enthusiastic customers in the Spotlight Interviews here. You will be working with wonderful colleagues who treat you like family and work together to delight customers. Across the product management, software development, support, and marketing functions, you will have a number of top tier resources at your fingertips to delicately nurture leads into prospects and customers. CDD has tripled it's sales force in the past year to meet rapidly growing demand for CDD Vault. Come join a winning team, selling the platform gaining momentum in our marketplace.
You need experience successfully selling to scientists in our domain in a manner that makes customers like CDD even more after they sign on. Your responsibility will be to generate new customers from our increasing CDD Vault leads funnel. Hopefully, you are well connected and can even add some of your own relationships into the mix.
We are looking for a trustworthy, high integrity sales professional who will accelerate our short-term business growth while simultaneously increasing our brand-awareness for the long-term. Ideally, you are a Ph.D. scientist with sales experience plus a software/informatics industry background.
You have a friendly outgoing personality yet you know how to listen (do you have “active listening” skills or training?) so you can offer the best solution to your prospects and make them happy customers.
During your career, you have already mastered at least one formal sales methodology such as “solution selling”, SPIN”, “BANT”, “Challenger Sales” or similar.
More important – you need to be quick, responsive, ready to hit the ground running (we have a lot of leads coming in which all need to be taken care of) and ultimately enjoy working with those nice humans on the other end. We look for individuals who are self-motivated and will take initiative at all stages of the sales cycle (leads-suspects-prospects-customers-referrals from customers). The focus will be on winning new, loyal customers. You should be equally comfortable with written and oral communication, whether in person or via gotomeeting, with an individual or a group. You must balance short-term execution, while prioritizing long-term value creation (for both the customer and CDD).
You are “fluent” with basic productivity tools, CRM, databases, email, inbound marketing, and are both open and fast to learn new tools and techniques (collaborative tools, social media, etc).
Travel will be necessary and it is equally important – if not more – to be proficient working remotely via phone and web. Strong communication and writing skills are a must.
If you only satisfy a portion of the criteria above, please don’t be shy and give it a try. We will help the right person evolve to find and unfold their potential. We have a good eye for developing talent and the right potential matters as much as the right experience.
CDD Advocate (Consultant)
Would you like to evolve science, chemistry, biology, drug discovery, core underlying technologies, or collaborative processes? Do you have experience in a fast-paced drug discovery environment or in technology companies serving our industry? Do you love to talk with people? Do you have writing skills?
And do you have business acumen?
If you answered yes to most of the above questions and are running your own business, consultancy, or are just between jobs for a little while, then the CDD Advocate opportunity may be just for you.
We are looking for individuals ideally, with an advanced degree in biology or chemistry, that appreciate informatics software as an essential ingredient for driving drug discovery projects. As a CDD Advocate you already know people in the drug discovery space and can help us make scientists aware of our very cool and unique technology. You will “spread the word” to help scientists in the industry become aware of our offerings.
We will reward you with attractive commission-based pay if one of your contacts becomes a new CDD customer. There are a number of extra “perks” we would support your advocacy with – besides a lot of fun engaging a fascinating, collaborative ecosystem. You will learn how CDD collaborates.
Please reach out to [email protected] and provide your LinkedIn profile or resume plus a thoughtful cover letter via email articulating how you will add business value. We are looking forward to talking with all of you!